Wednesday Challenge Update - 15th May

I'm back to my weekly challenge updates now and I've actually managed to finish two books this week so here goes.

From Goodreads
The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson

From Goodreads:
A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk are condemned to lives in servitude, sold as goods, labouring in the ash fields. But now a troublemaker has arrived and there is rumour of revolt. A revolt that depends on criminal that no-one can trust and a young girl who must master Allomancy - the magic that lies in all metals.

I have to admit that I did something really naughty with this book...whilst I was reading it I looked it up online. Of course I read something that I really didn't want to and it almost put me off finishing the book. Silly me! Luckily I carried on because I loved the whole thing and I cannot wait to get stuck in to the second one. I feel like it's been ages since I discovered a new fantasy and I'm glad that I've found one to obsess over. 
 

From Goodreads
XO - Jeffery Deaver

From Goodreads:
Kayleigh Towne is gorgeous with a voice that is taking her to the heights of the country pop charts. Her hit single “Your Shadow” puts her happily in the spotlight, until an innocent exchange with one of her fans leads Kayleigh into a dark and terrifying realm. The fan warns, “I’m coming for you,” and soon accidents happen and people close to Kayleigh die. Special Agent Kathryn Dance must use her considerable skills at investigation and body language analysis to stop the stalker—but before long she learns that, like many celebrities, Kayleigh has more than just one fan with a mission.

Jeffery Deaver is easily one of my favourite crime writers and although I prefer his Lincoln Rhyme novels I still really enjoy this one. I love how he surprises you with a plot twist and it completely changes how you see the book and just when you're getting settled he throws in a couple more twists. You never really know how it's going to end until the last few pages and I really enjoy that. I can't stand a crime novel where you can easily see how it's going to turn out. 

So there we have it. Two books closer to my target of 50, I'm now at 23. I feel like I'm going much slower this year and that I'm not stretching myself as much. I may need to do something about that. As always you can keep up with what I'm currently reading on my Goodreads page or look at all of the past weeks of the challenge here.

No comments:

Post a Comment